The Mad Catz Rat 9 professional gaming mouse is one of many in the Mad Catz mice series. This one is just another sweet addition to the entire product line because of several dandy features. But wait… you are not here to read about a mouse’s feature or how much DPI coverage it has to it
You are here because you love gaming and you want the best mouse available in the top gaming mice category. Strap on, fellow gamer, because this is exactly what our Mad Catz Rat 9 gaming mouse review is going to let you in on.
The Good Stuff about Cyborg Mad Catz Rat 9 Wireless Mouse:
- The Mad Catz 9 comes with a toolkit. You can disassemble the entire mouse, down to its main parts, screws and nuts. This makes it easier for a technical person to replace any faulty part. Plus, it feels that you are in charge of everything related to the mouse – the control is finally in your hands!
- No doubt, compared to the previous Mad Catz mice in the series, the R.A.T 9 model is slightly heavy. Some people interpret weight factor as a bad quality but I think a heavy mouse is better. Weight kind of adds that influential ‘Hey I am here to do business’ feeling to any product. Of course, not all heavy products are cool. But some of them actually look and feel good if they are a little heavy.
- The recharging dock for Mad Catz R.A.T 9 is a great facility for those gamers who rely on recharging their mouse’s battery. You can buy high quality rechargeable cells at Amazon for that purpose. Also, the mouse itself comes with two battery packs – you won’t be bleeding for an extra battery for a couple of months or so.
- Strong build quality, nice finishing and overall sleek looks with strategically placed buttons.
Mad Catz Rat 9 Gaming Mouse Video Review | Courtesy of Youtubers
The Bad Stuff about Mad Catz Rat 9 Cyborg Gaming Mouse?
- Sometimes the lateral scroll feel seems a little awkward. I felt uneasy due to its position. However it is all about getting used to something new and unusually perfect.
Other than that, some people have complained about the “Double Click issue with Catz 9” mouse. I was scrolling through Amazon issues section for this mouse. A guy said that lately he had been having problems with the click system. Somehow his Cyborg Rat 9 double clicked everything itself. Here are a few options to be considered:
- You have a “Double Click” virus in your computer. I had this virus in my Windows XP and Windows 7 system actually. For Windows XP, I had to disable the virus through registry key entries and format option. Technically, it is not a virus, your mouse gets programmed to double click everything. Very irritating at times. For Windows 7, I performed the security updates and the virus was gone forever.
- Your Mad Catz mouse, regardless of what series it is, has a faulty switch button. It occurs in Mad Catz 7 usually. You have to install the “MouseFix” application to overcome this issue. The program intercepts the click events to ignore any double click session.
Another option is to send the mouse for replacement. This should be your last resort though. With a new replacement mouse, still, there is no guarantee to avoiding the double click problem once and for all.
Cyborg Mad Catz Rat 9 Review for Impulsive Buyers:
Okay, you love the mouse but you haven’t really made the decision yet. $175 seems like a big deal and you need a solid review to help you through the buyer’s dilemma. First of all, if you are not a dedicated gamer, forget about buying this mouse. You are better off with Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T 7 or earlier versions of it. They are cheap and easily affordable.
The R.A.T 9 model is meant to deliver hardcore experience. I wouldn’t say that this is the most expensive mouse within the top gaming mice product lineup. But yeah, it does give unparalleled results without any doubts or whatsoever. High end gamers are in for 5600 DPI (Dots Per Inch) resolution, a mouse toolkit, special button for DPI adjustments and so much more.
Connectivity and Charging: The Mad Catz Rat 9 connects through a USB powered receiver. Besides acting as a power charging station for the mouse, the RF USB receiver also serves the purpose of tubular home weight kit caddy. At low battery, the mouse doesn’t phase out on its response. I know how important those kills are for hardcore FPS gamers – you will never miss your shots.
Thanks to two battery packs in the Rat 9 mouse, you can use one, while the other set is getting charged. The mouse battery indicator light is normally green when the battery is fully charged. It starts blinking / flashing if the charging is low. The red light indicates a completely drained battery.
Cyborg R.A.T. 3
Cyborg R.A.T. 5
Cyborg R.A.T. 7
Cyborg R.A.T. 9
Cyborg M.M.O. 7 Gaming Mouse
|Platform||PC + Mac||PC + Mac||PC + Mac||PC + Mac||PC + Mac|
|Report rate (Hz)||1000||1000||1000||1000||1000|
|Tracking Speed (m/sec)||1.5||6.0||6.0||6.0||6.0|
|Modes||3||3||3||3||3 + Shift|
|Power Source||USB||USB||USB||x2 Rechargeable Lithium Batteries||USB|
|Adjustable Thumb Area||No||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Additional Pinkie Grips||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Additional Palm Rests||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Customization Options: Like I said, the Mad Catz Rat 9 has tons of customization options. I am just going to touch base with minute customization settings. For instance, you have control over the laser sensor DPI settings because of the dedicated DPI switching button and the scroll wheel itself. There are three different pre-programmed sensitivity phases for you to choose from
The Cyborg Rat 9 customization software lets users set various profiles. This enables easy control and DPI mapping options, since each profile is completely customizable down to last bit n’ byte. Maybe you are playing Far Cry 3 and you’d very much like to use the Enter Vehicle option. You can program it in your mouse through control mapping – Easy as pie.
What Does the RED Button Do?
Okay, if you are wondering about the Red button at the side of the mouse, it has a very special purpose. The button basically slows down the cursor movement for a limited amount of time. Let’s say you are zoomed in on a target but the mouse movement is making it difficult to actually kill that son of a bitch!
You press the red button with the “Sniper” icon on it. The movement slows down as long as you are holding it. BAMMMM!! He goes down instantly. Modern Warfare 2 fans will love the idea of having a Red Button in their Mad Catz Rat 9 mouse.
Mad Catz Rat 9 Cyborg wireless gaming mouse is an excellent product. You can even set your own wrist friendly resting position in this mouse – I mean how cool is that? Even people with large retarded hands can use this mouse because of its elongated shape.
At the start of this Mad Catz 9 mouse review, I talked about the lateral scroll wheel. It seems awkward at first. However, seeing that the lateral scroll wheel is a pedestrian level feature in gaming mice these days, you will eventually get the hang of it. This mouse sets the bar high for competitor gaming mouse developers.
Word from Developers:
Take the lead and lose the wire with the top-of-the-range Cyborg R.A.T. 9. The power and performance of the R.A.T. 7 combine with next-generation wireless technology for an unsurpassed gaming experience.