Just one week into purchasing a Western Digital 500 GB My Passport drive for my jtagged Xbox 360, I am already regretting the decision. Damn, I should have purchased the Seagate Backup Plus 3TB USB 3.0 desktop drive. That’s it – it is time for me to throw the WD drive at the retailer and buy this one for an overdose of extra price.
The Good Stuff about Seagate Backup Plus 3TB Desktop Drive:
The 3 terabyte Seagate Backup Plus isn’t a perfect drive. But for a guy with slightly over $100 to spend, this drive serves multiple purposes. It has a bit of both pros and cons to an equal extent – so much so that you won’t feel sorry for buying this drive.
As the name suggests, the Seagate Backup Plus 3TB drive is a portable external hard drive. It is very lightweight and comes with the special backup one click technology. I will talk about that later. First, let’s take a look at this drive’s perky perks, shall we?
- The three terabyte capacity itself is a blessing in disguise. There is a lot of space for you to organize your date. Don’t forget to add partitions so that everything is organized.
- The 3.0 standard USB port adds to fast data transfer in Seagate Backup Plus 3TB drive. With a faster processor and more RAM, you can double the data transfer speed. Even if your folder collection is worth 50 GB size, the entire data backup/ transfer should only take a few minutes.
- This external Seagate hard drive is the quietest of its kind. In fact it is so quiet that I had a hard time figuring whether it was On or Off.
- It doesn’t get extremely hot. Summers are a hell at my place. I feared that this hard drive would burn to crisp. However a friend of mine already owns a Seagate Backup Plus 3 TB USB 3.0 drive and he told me that I had nothing to worry about. Overheating wont be an issue.
- Strong built and reinforced casing are an added plus point to purchasing this Seagate external drive. The hinges do not squeak when pressed hard. Same goes for seams at the sides of this hard drive. The plastic is sturdy, instead of being “turdy” like other external hard drives, and holds its ground rather peacefully.
Experts Talk about 3TB Seagate External Hard Drive at Youtube
The Bad Stuff about Seagate Backup Plus 3TB External Drive?
- Minimal degree of software use and limitation might leave a sour taste behind. Some users are more reliant on using software discs that come with external hard drives. For instance, in Seagate Backup Plus 3TB Drive’s case, the software has dandy features like auto shutdown and etc. But they are of no particular interest to me.
Detailed Seagate Backup Plus 3Tb Desktop Drive Review:
This review is for the digital file whores – the overprotective peeps who can’t get enough of backing up their files. I get it, which is why I selected this particular hard drive. The subject of backing up data is of crucial nature.
I mean there is always the free option of backing up data at online websites. Hell, if you ask me, I would say Drop Box is a pretty common name. However, Drop Box is still far from being a household name. The level of satisfaction you get from owning a hard drive and backed up data in it – that’s far from uploading gigs of files at an online website.
Anyhow, with the Seagate Backup Plus 3TB external hard drive, data storage is a no biggie. Compared to Hitachi and some other brands, this particular model fares well in my good books. More so, if you have three separate hard drives of 1 TB capacity each, I’d say put them on sale at eBay and purchase one 3TB hard drive, such as Seagate Backup Plus 3TB USB 3.0.
Where Does the Jtagged Xbox 360 Gaming Fit In?
I have a jtagged Xbox 360 with Xex v1.1 these days. Gaming is a breeze on this console, with the exception of online play. You cannot take the risk of connecting a Jtag modified Xbox 360 to the internet because it would either disable the core software from running modified games anymore, or ban you permanently from Xbox Live Marketplace.
For offline gaming, the Jtag and a robust hard drive combination is superb. I am planning to replace my old hard drive with the Seagate Backup Plus 3TB Desktop Drive because of several reasons. Being able to download and save games to this drive is one of many.
What’s in the Box?
Upon a fresh purchase of this hard drive from your favorite online retailer, the box contents will consist of:
- 1 X Seagate Backup Plus 3TB USB 3.0 Drive. (Model # STCA3000101)
- 1 X Preloaded Seagate Dashboard
- Quick Start Guide for Setting up Seagate Backup Plus Disk Drive
- 1 X Seagate official 3.0 Compliant USB Port Adaptor with 5 Ft Power Cable
- 1 X Power Supply
System Requirements for Seagate Backup Plus 3TB USB 3.0 STCA3000101:
– Operating System – Windows XP (Service Pack 3), Mac OSX 10.6, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista
You will be prompted for a reformat if you are using Mac OSX to setup this drive. In any case, after a fresh format/ reformat, according to the file storage version (NTFS/ FAT32) to your liking, the rest is a smoothie.
By default, this drive comes with NTFS format. I would recommend that you do not proceed with installing the provided software with this external drive. In some cases, there have been reports of bugs where people were unable to close the open drive folder. Let alone, the Read to Write only mode had to be switched several times before the software actually started working.
In my opinion, if you really want to create a backup of your files, rather than using the Seagate Backup Plus Official Software, just copy and paste the files in the drive. By doing the backup process through the software, you are slightly risking the entire file transfer process.
Especially for Mac users, the Seagate Backup Plus 3TB USB 3.0 drive works amazingly superfast, as long as they are not contemplating the dashboard software installation. Frankly, Seagate would have been better off without the software, as people have the general idea of how USB drives actually work.
In the end, this hard drive is a great buy. For slightly over $100, you are looking at 3TB worth of storage place. If you are thinking right now that your 2TB or 1TB hard drives are more than enough, just wait till you run out of space.